Sunday, May 27, 2012

Oof! Real Smooth!!!

Tripping or falling just never quite looks stylish, glamorous or intentional, does it? I’ve tripped up A LOT in my life. I’ve tripped over stairs, over clutter, over my own feet. I’ve tripped on ice, in mud, on carpet and hardwood floors. And then there’s my mouth. Oh, yes, a great tripper this critter is. I’ve stuttered, stammered and said horrible and horribly ridiculous and/or stupid things in my life, all of which have socially, personally or professionally placed me in the corner wearing an invisible dunce cap on my tripping head. So yes, like this fictional doggie exchange here, “I have had it said to me; as well as stating in my own mind, “Real smooth.”
Sigh. Hopeless? Destined for embarrassment and failure perpetually? In those moments, it feels like “yes,” but thank God, there’s more at work then my day, morning, evening, night and midnight hour tripping going on here! God HAS to help us. “A person's steps are directed by the LORD, and the LORD delights in his way.” Psalm 37:23 When we’re children, just having fallen off from our bikes and skinned our needs, we cry for our parents to come and get us, to kiss our boo boos and make things better. We’re too busy being upset to help ourselves a lot of the time. And emotionally and spiritually, as well as physically, as we grow, we never outgrow our need for God and all of His boo boo kissing help in life. We’d like to think that we’re too mature, too wise, too sophisticated by the accolades in our lives to need God. We’ve “got it,” after all. Eh… uh-oh… “Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.” 1 Corinthians 10:12 Yeah, been there. Fell on that little ditty. The truth is, we will fall- several times in our lives; it’s not fun. It’s not painless. “For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again...” Proverbs 24:16 But, author and motivational speaker, John Maxwell, wrote a book, years ago, entitled “Failing Forward.” After reading it, I started changing my perfectionistic mandate of my life performance. If we perceive our falls to be advances to the next stage of our lives, it’s maybe easier to recover when we slip, trip or completely wipe out. We just got closer to God just then; we just got closer to our destiny. After all, what else does “from glory to glory” mean, if it’s not emphasizing the imperfect, human process of us, living our lives? “But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.” 2 Corinthians 3:18 Perhaps it is about perspective, a glass half empty or full. Maybe we can look at our spills as halfway rising instead of completely crushed and defeated forever? Can you? And let’s not forget, God is STILL there, the entire time… "Our soul waiteth for the LORD: he is our help and our shield." Psalms 33:20 "Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance." Psalms 42:5 "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." Psalms 46:1 "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth." Psalms 121:1-2 Are you recovering from a real doozy of a fall now? There is hope beyond it! God tells us… But never forget, before that reality, there is THIS one, acting on your behalf… “…all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Romans 3:23 “The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.” Jeremiah 31:3 Let God love you, even in spite of your fall, however large or small it may be. The next time you’re tempted to berate yourself with “Real smooth” about your slip, trying saying this to yourself instead: Real loved I am by God! Real loved!

No comments:

Post a Comment