Saturday, April 18, 2015

And Action!



I was a theatre major in college. Yes, I was “one of those.”

And part of that involved studying directing. As a director, I was in charge of the lighting, the staging and the actors involved the scene. Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen, I was able to play God, be all powerful and call the shots. So, it’d be no problem whatsoever for control freak me, right?

Yikes.

For those of us with addictions, disorders and compulsions, it can be tempting to believe the answer is if we’re just in control enough, perfect enough or powerful enough, then life will be solved. And so, we chase playing God, often using our vices to propel us to such a state in which we feel in control of our lives, comforted and confident. But we aren’t. The exact opposite occurs, actually.

And that’s where, yet again, we come back to God and His Word; we can’t do anything without Him:

“Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.”

John 15:4-5

That’s the cold hard truth, whether or not we want to accept it. In fact, God’s fully aware of our vulnerable condition.

“For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.”

Psalms 103:14

And that’s precisely why we need Jesus. We cannot “get it together” enough in our own strength.

But, with Jesus?

“I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”

Philippians 4:13

We must never forget we are not alone in life; God’s always there, always offering to help us.

“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.”

Psalms 46:1

“Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand.”

Psalm 73:23

“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go: I will guide you with My eye.”

Psalm 32:8

But HE is the ultimate Director, not us! Are we insisting on calling our own shots? God knows better.

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.”

Isaiah 55:8-9

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.”

Jeremiah 29:11

Let’s allow Him to do better by us, call action and direct us to incredible lives and blessings! It is possible!

Copyright © 2015 by Sheryle Cruse

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment