Monday, December 12, 2016

“And fit us to Heaven…”


 

The Christmas carol, “Away In A Manger” has always been one of my favorites since I was a child. I remember first seeing it in a songbook with drawings of the Baby Jesus. I always viewed it as a soothing lullaby.

Years later, I love hearing and singing it. But recently, I was struck by one of its lyrics: “And fit us to Heaven to live with Thee there.”

I paused, noting the phrasing- “And fit us to Heaven...”

Are we being “fit” for eternity with God?

It sounds like a big question. But I think it’s a reality check reminder of, once again, the process of our lives, as opposed to a “one-time event.”

And again, I roll out one of my favorite scriptures…

“But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.”

2 Corinthians 3:18

From glory to glory… being made fit for Heaven…dependent upon Jesus…

It’s not about our perfection, our unrealistic standards, our “good person” status; it’s about ongoing process, through our Savior, Jesus Christ, Who once was the little baby in a manger.

Thank God for that!

Copyright © 2016 by Sheryle Cruse

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment