Thursday, March 2, 2017

More Than a TBT...




“... I knew that, sooner or later, I would have to tell him the ugly truth about myself...As we prepared for our wedding, I finally mentioned to him that I had a secret I wasn’t ready to share with him yet. Of course, he was curious and wanted to know right then and there, but he displayed patient understanding. He told me that he loved me and that it didn’t matter what it was. He didn’t pressure me to tell him. He knew there was a secret and left it at that... I began wanting to tell him... And so I did.

And the worst didn’t happen. He didn’t leave me, throw me out in the street, call me worthless and tell me how much he hated me. No. He looked at me, asked me, ‘This is the big secret?’ He hugged me, told me he loved me, and told me I was beautiful... Since then, Russell has been an incredible support to me as I’ve continued my path in dealing with my food, weight, and body image issues. It sounds so cliché, but it’s true: he loves me ‘just as I am.’”

(Excerpt taken from “Thin Enough: My Spiritual Journey Through the Living Death of an Eating Disorder”)

No comments:

Post a Comment