Sunday, August 19, 2018

Teaching The Dangerous Diet?




Disordered eating and image issues have been with me since my childhood. I wasn’t the only one engaging in the mindsets, however.

When I was in fifth grade, during recess, my third grade teacher struck up a conversation with me. We had just returned from summer vacation and, as children are prone to do, I had changed. Perhaps it was a growth spurt. Regardless, my third grade teacher remarked, “Sheryle, you’ve slimmed down. Are you dieting?”

And we’re off and running again with wrong messages to young children.

Of course, by this time, I’d already started my dieting, yo-yoing, unhappiness with/rejection of myself behaviors. I knew something was “wrong” as long as I was overweight. But hearing the validation from an adult, one of my teachers, nonetheless, gave it extra firepower. Now it had credence beyond my mother or miscellaneous family members. This feedback was from an objective “outsider,” after all. So, it must be true, right?

This time of year, kids are starting new school years. Whether it’s elementary, high school or college, young people are returning to classes having undergone some kind of change or some type of growth spurt. And yes, there may be some startling transformations.

As someone in recovery, I get quite uneasy as people make comments about physical appearance. It’s tough enough as an adult. But I get extremely nervous when an adult makes a comment about a child’s weight. Whether it’s an insult, a warning or high praise, there’s still danger at the mere mention of the issue. And there’s no defense against it from the child.

1)      Don’t comment on a child’s appearance. There’s no setting where it’s appropriate. Kids need to be kids, free from the importance of a thin appearance.

2)       Don’t criticize an overweight physical stature. You’re not an expert; you’re not a doctor. If there’s a legitimate health concern, deal with it in a health context, not in the context of your personal appearance opinions.

3)      Don’t recommend dieting. Again, if there’s a legitimate health issue, work with trained doctors and therapist to resolve it. But believing your own “fix it” plan of placing a child on a diet may do more harm than good. You could be setting that child up for a lifetime of negative self-esteem and body image issues.

4)      Don’t praise the child for and/or compare a thinner body. Again, this is unhealthy and harmful. You’re sending a toxic message that the child is inferior, subpar and will not be “okay” unless and until he/she whittle down to the desired weight.

5)      DO validate the child, as is. Let him/her know there’s nothing which can add or detract from their lovability, value and uniqueness. The child is wonderful as a creation of the most High God. Period.



Since you were precious in my sight… I have loved you…”

Isaiah 43:4



I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made…”

Psalm 139:14



“I have chosen you and have not cast you away.”

Isaiah 41:9











Copyright © 2018 by Sheryle Cruse


No comments:

Post a Comment