Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Ladies and Gentlemen, a Woman Who "Gets It," Ms. Pam Burton...


The Flip Side of Strength

 Everyone says I am strong
 but what they do not see
 is the crumbling infrastructure
 shattering inside of me.

 the tears that won't stop falling
 the fears that plague my mind
 the endless negative chatter
 the hope I cannot find.

 the sadness from what's missing
 the grief from all my losses
 the relentless existential crisis
 the pain that life continuously tosses

 the loneliness that's never ending
 the isolation I continue to call
 home
 the hopelessness that engulfs me
 the helplessness that's free to roam

 the sleepless nights I cry and think
 the wondering if tomorrow's worth
 living
 the dread of feeling so completely lost

 unsure if to life I can keep on going
 & giving

 the impossible standards I place on
 myself
 the anxiety that consumes me
 the panic that pins me down
 never knowing how to set myself free

 the treatment resistant depression
 the trauma I've endured
 the living in "Survivor Mode,"
 knowing I will never be truly "cured"

 the voice of ED screaming
 the demands he fires out
 the expectations for "perfection,"
 he barks not quietly, but with an
 intolerable shout

 the OCD so controlling
 the endless skin picking causing harm
 the intrusive constant irrational
 thoughts
 are true cause for alarm

 the pain that's often intractable
 the needing relief but finding none
 the unpredictable autoimmune diseases
 the inability to enjoy life and have
 fun

 the self-doubt that binds me
 the old "negative tapes" playing
 painfully loud
 the not knowing who I am
 or how of myself, to be proud

 the body image issues
 the berating of my size
 the trying to take recovery steps
 but knowing that ED never truly dies

 the shame that overwhelms me
 the regrets that won't go away
 the believing I'm not "good enough"
 are forever here to stay.

 the past that continuously haunts me
 the paralyzing truth so taunting
 the unstoppable constant worrying
 sustained recovery and hope are so
 unbelievably daunting

 the wanting to be free from this all
 but knowing it's all here to stay
 no matter how hard I work or try
 It never goes away

 A prisoner, I'll be forever
 the torture, it always will follow
 Every attempt at escape
 is eternally & hopelessly hollow

 I'm exhausted from fighting
 Battle scarred and unrecognizably torn
 I don't think I can make it through
 My faith is broken and inexplicably
 worn

 Self destruction pounces
 Like a lion on its prey
 I feel I lack the strength
 to make it to another day

 I may appear strong on the outside
 But my strength hangs by a single
 fraying thread
 The unwinnable war going on inside
 is bound to leave me dead.

 --Pam Burton
   March 24, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment