Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Bionic: What’s Wrong With Human?

We're not bionic, are we?
It’s what none of us really wants to admit, isn’t it? We’re human: messy, bizarre, imperfect.
I recently discovered a doll I played with as a girl: the Bionic Woman.
She was spawned from the 1970’s television show, by the same name, starring Lindsey Wagner. I remember how, as a little girl, I watched that show and played with that doll. I wanted to be just like her, wanting to be “bionic.”
With the development of anorexia, years later, I did feel, indeed, “bionic,” as I felt in control and invincible, dropping pound after pound. But it was all a lie. I was in heavy denial of my humanity, my imperfections. I wanted, instead, to recreate myself as indestructible. I, in fact, only created a monster from engaging in eating disorder behaviors.
All in the name of not being human? What’s wrong with humanity? What’s wrong with being imperfect? It doesn’t take God by surprise, why should it take us by surprise?
“For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we [are] dust.”
Psalm 103:14
Wherever we are, whatever we may see ourselves as, image-wise, God’s never surprised by it! He knows every fear, desire, ambition, choice, failure and success! And He loves us- in spite of it all!!!!
Are you wanting to be “bionic?” Be honest. I suppose, the challenge is this then, for ALL of us: next time we desire “bionic,” think of God, Who is and Who does Ephesians 3:20 concerning our lives:
“Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.”

That’s SOOOOOO much better than bionic, now isn’t it?



No comments:

Post a Comment