Monday, August 1, 2011

The Progress Snails on Our Faces...

 “By perseverance the snail reached the ark.”

Charles H. Spurgeon

I love this snail quote- so true. Here I am, venting about the elusive “progress” issue again. It seems to be non-existent most of the time. Or, at least it feels that way. Ah, yes, progress. Are you feeling you’re making it lately? Yeah, I know. Same here. When I was bouncing around the internet the other day, I happened across this image.


It perked up my radar; I’d already been a fan of Mr. Spurgeon’s quote. This image, however, spoke to me. Once I got over my initial “eww” reaction, I thought it was interesting how several progressive snails were making their way across this girl’s face. And, understandably so, her focus was on the trekking critters. It reminded me of how the issue of progress can be all consuming, obsessive, placing unrealistic pressures on us to succeed. Could it be that, while so many of us are looking at the progress snails on our faces, we’re bumping into other life walls?

Progress is great; everyone wants to improve their lives. But we need to remember how gradual, slow, and seemingly non-existent it can appear to be. That doesn’t mean it’s not there and not happening, however. God takes us “from glory to glory” (2 Corinthians 3:18). We want progress now, but are we prepared for it? Wise enough for it? Mature enough for it? Or, is it the right time? God knows best, like it or not.

We all have some snails on our faces; there’s no denying that. We all have unmet needs and dreams. But let’s look at others things besides the ambitious progress we want to make; let’s look to our lives. What else represents our lives? Where is God in that? Can we look to Him more, rather than staring at the expedition of these progress snails? There may be fast, satisfying results from the little guys; there may not be. But let’s remember to not forget our entire lives. Making progress is only one aspect of life. What about love? Laughter? Joy? Creativity? Compassion? Connection? A relationship with God?

Here’s to us; with or without snails! Our lives, as is, in their entirety, are worth it!

And, if, for any reason, you find yourself with actual snails on your face, my sympathies. I hope can find someone to scrape ‘em off!

You are getting there, by the way. Yes, you are making progress!




No comments:

Post a Comment