Monday, March 18, 2013

Hammocking: Put on Jesus

I’m going to mention my cats, because, once again, I find inspiration and reminders of God’s Word from them. Since they were kittens, our two, Gracie and Glory have become accustomed to something we call “hammocking.” It’s when a cat sits on your lap, but only if there is an outstretched t-shirt or sweatshirt involved. Since high school, I’ve sat this way: cross-legged with a shirt covering my knees. Anyway, the cats love it, but I’m sure those of you who are cat owners know, each cat has its own unique personality. And that brings me to Gracie. She’s a diluted calico, notorious for her “Tortitude.” She’s quite selective. She will only hammock on me if I’m wearing a particular sweatshirt. I’m sure God has a sense of humor here because it’s a “Jesus” sweatshirt. That’s right; Jesus’ face is on it. She only seems to hang out with me when I wear it. I have tried other shirts. Glory, her sibling, will sit on me wearing almost any shirt. Her only exception is stripes; she hates stripes. Please don’t ask me why. But Gracie, when she’s in a hammocking mood, will send me restless signals, giving me that silent meow stare, crouching and yes, peeping until I do what I’m told by her. And that usually means I need to get up, find that sweatshirt, assume the hammock position and tap the tightly strung article of clothing until she hops over. Five- four-three-two- one- there she springs, launched, via her behind wriggling action, from her perch spot to the hammock shirt. And, from there, she expects me to stay cooperative, motionless and quiet for however long she deems necessary. She’s a cat, after all. I’m merely doing her bidding. But it made me think about “putting on things.” We’re encouraged to do that in scripture: “Put on the armor of God so that you may be able to stand firm against the tactics of the devil. For our struggle is not with flesh and blood but with the principalities, with the powers, with the world rulers of this present darkness, with the evil spirits in the heavens. Therefore, put on the armor of God, that you may be able to resist on the evil day and, having done everything, to hold your ground. So stand fast with your loins girded in truth, clothed with righteousness as a breastplate, and your feet shod in readiness for the gospel of peace. In all circumstances, hold faith as a shield, to quench all [the] flaming arrows of the evil one. And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” Ephesian 6:11-17 In life, responding to significant issues, just putting on “any old thing” won’t cut it. It has to be Jesus. “For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.” Galatians 3:27 “Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh.” Romans 13:14 Accept no substitutes. We can chase our solutions, but, in the end, Jesus makes all the difference. Gracie reminds me of this every blooming day! Copyright © 2013 by Sheryle Cruse

No comments:

Post a Comment