Sunday, May 26, 2013

Soup du’jour (Tears of our enemies)

When I was a child, I had my share of bully experiences. Whether it was because of my body size, my hair or my awkwardness, I was picked on. Thus, I felt I had enemies. Nothing amplified that more than adolescence. “But mine enemies are lively, and they are strong: and they that hate me wrongfully are multiplied.” Psalms 38:19 And then I became an adult and encountered some different enemies; they changed with the seasons. So, when I rededicated myself as a Christian, I thought God would instantly wipe out every person who ever dared to pick on me. Wrong. Yes, I’d love to get my revenge if I had my druthers. It’s not loving and dripping with Jesus. It’s me being human. Yay team. Indeed, it can feel disappointing to hear how God wants us to respond concerning our enemies. Just check out some highlights: “Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.” Romans 12:20-21 “Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for He maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? Do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? Do not even the publicans so? Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.” Matthew 5:43-48 Yeah. Not exactly thrilling, is it? But there’s a better reason, beyond our feelings. I’m sure you’ve heard the old adage, “Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself.” We often roll our eyes and don’t feel those words. But God knows better: “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55:8-9 Perhaps, part of God’s reason for this approach is a personal one, one worthy of a reality check. Get ready. Perhaps God is so “lenient” because every last one of us, left to our own devices, is an enemy of God. “For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.” Romans 5:10 I told you to get ready. Let us not forget, before we entertain our revenge fantasies against our treacherous enemies, we’re not exactly perfect angels. We’ve done some stuff; we’ve sinned against God. We’ve been enemies. Yet, God is loving and merciful. Who do we think we are? But, but, but… What about our oppressive, bullied situation with whatever corresponding enemy? What is God doing about that? “Thou prepares a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.” Psalms 23:5 God hasn’t forgotten about our situations; He knows. And, if we stay out of His way, love, hear and obey Him, we’ll be positioned for a better life. Don’t worry about your enemy “getting his.” Scripture tells us: “So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.” Romans 14:12 “But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken.” Matthew 12:36 Sobering. Reality check. Noteworthy. And life-worthy. Let’s try to live our lives beyond the enemy issue! God created us; He has it planned out! “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11 Enjoy your life, in spite of all enemies, today!!! Copyright © 2013 by Sheryle Cruse

No comments:

Post a Comment