Tuesday, September 17, 2013

"If God Loves Me" Locker

When I first saw this image, I chuckled.
And then I saw my own less than noble or glamorous self-pity moments. Self-pity- we’re all subject to it. And I’m not talking about the grief or sadness of things like death and loss. I’m talking about the mindset which determines only horrible things will befall us. And that is wallowing- and not believing- God’s Power and great Love for us. Job is famous for intense adversity and self-reflection. Perhaps, he even slipped into some pity. It’s not like he didn’t have reason. He lost loved ones, health and finances. His world crashed around him. And he did his fair share of lamenting: “My spirit is broken, my days are cut short, the grave awaits me. Surely mockers surround me; my eyes must dwell on their hostility… “God has made me a byword to everyone, a man in whose face people spit. My eyes have grown dim with grief; my whole frame is but a shadow. The upright are appalled at this; the innocent are aroused against the ungodly… My days have passed, my plans are shattered. Yet the desires of my heart turn night into day; in the face of the darkness light is near. If the only home I hope for is the grave… where then is my hope— who can see any hope for me? Will it go down to the gates of death? Will we descend together into the dust?” Job 17:1-2; 6-8; 11-12; 13-16 “I loathe my own life; I will give full vent to my complaint; I will speak in the bitterness of my soul. “I will say to God, ‘Do not condemn me; Let me know why You contend with me. ‘Is it right for You indeed to oppress, To reject the labor of Your hands, And to look favorably on the schemes of the wicked? ‘Have You eyes of flesh? Or do You see as a man sees? ‘Are Your days as the days of a mortal, Or Your years as man’s years, That You should seek for my guilt And search after my sin? ‘Why then have You brought me out of the womb? Would that I had died and no eye had seen me! ‘I should have been as though I had not been, Carried from womb to tomb.’ “Would He not let my few days alone? Withdraw from me that I may have a little cheer Before I go—and I shall not return— To the land of darkness and deep shadow, The land of utter gloom as darkness itself, Of deep shadow without order, And which shines as the darkness.” Job 10:1-6; 18-22 Yeah, we get the point. See yourself here? I know I do. And, again, there are some hard things in life. But if we wallow only in them, we are making a choice to give them all the power, instead of giving God that distinction. We murmur and complain; we wallow… “You too be patient; strengthen your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is near. Do not complain, brethren, against one another, so that you yourselves may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing right at the door.” James 5:8-9 Ever hear the statement, “You complain, you remain?” We’re all guilty of that. But, instead of despairing, thinking there’s no hope for our lives, we have the choice to engage the second part of the statement” if you praise, you’re raised.” That’s right- praise. Praise God. “I will praise the LORD according to his righteousness: and will sing praise to the name of the LORD most high.” Psalm 7:17 “I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.” Psalm 34:1 “Sing forth the honor of his name: make his praise glorious.” Psalm 66:2 There’s nothing too hard for Him (Jeremiah 32:27), after all. And that’s an important filter to look through when it comes to ANYTHING!!! What we deem as a too difficult life situation, is an easy locker for God to open. We all need a refresher course in that Truth. It’s about doing the reality check: “Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.” Psalm 42:11 What’s your locker? Have you focused on God to deal with it? Is it about your self-pity or God’s loving involvement in your life? Make your choice a great one today! Copyright © 2013 by Sheryle Cruse

No comments:

Post a Comment