Thursday, August 13, 2015

The Turtle Approach


 

 “But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.”

James 1:4

My wonderful hubby recently gave me an adorable purple turtle (just like they occur in nature).
 

Turtles.

I’ve gained more of an appreciation for them in recent years. Of course, their calling card attributes are their shells- and their very slow pace.

Kind of like us in life.

Hence, patience, our favorite word and practice…

“In your patience possess ye your souls.”

Luke 21:19

Whether it is the story of the tortoise and the hare or whatever cute internet memes are going around, the turtle symbolizes encouragement to our frustrated processes.
 

“For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.”

Hebrews 10:36

Within recent years, I’ve applied the principle, “Slow and steady wins the race.”

“Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,”

Hebrews 12:1

No, it’s not gratifying to us when we want easy, instant results. Life, however, rarely gives that experience about our hearts’ desires.

But God is faithful and He has a plan which exceeds our limited imaginations:

“…I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me. Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure… yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it.”

Isaiah 46:9-11

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.”

Isaiah 55:8-9

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.”

Jeremiah 29:11

It’s a reminder we need constantly. Life is hard, discouraging us at every turn. And that’s often without such painful circumstances as addiction, loss and abuse experiences.

Are you a turtle? Join the rest of the club.

Obstacle are inevitable. Time is inevitable. And yes, pain is inevitable. Nevertheless, there is still purpose, meaning and value to who you are, the sum total of your life markers.

But YOU ARE getting there!

And so, slow and steady, my friend. Slow and steady…

Copyright © 2015 by Sheryle Cruse

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment