Sunday, February 21, 2016

“How do I love thee?" The National Eating Disorder Awreness Weeks Begins...


“How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.”

“How Do I Love Thee? (Sonnet 43),” Elizabeth Barrett Browning

 We’ve all heard this famous poem. Yet, how many of us have pondered it within a God context? And how many of us have considered its powerful relevance when it comes to dealing with our toxic self-perceptions and unconditional love/ acceptance application?

This week ushers in the National Eating Disorder Awareness Week (February 21st –February 27th, 2016). And, me being me, I cannot help but look at this week through the filter of God’s love for us. It’s been a crucial element in my own recovery from disordered eating and harmful image issues.

So, let’s take a little time to meditate on God: His love. Let’s count some of the ways He loves us. And then, let’s endeavor to personally internalize them to be everything we’re designed to be!

Day 1:
 

First thing to get settled...

“God is Love.”

1 John 4:16

It’s not such an easy concept to embrace. For those of us struggling with harmful image messages, we may mistakenly believe God is something else instead of love.

We may believe God is…

…Hate…

…Punishment…

…Abandonment…

…“anti-us…”

Really assess for yourself your own “God is…” How do you finish that statement?



Copyright © 2016 by Sheryle Cruse
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment