Friday, August 26, 2016

Learning the Food Fight


 
Back in the 1970’s, the classic film, “Animal House” famously depicted John Belushi’s character starting a food fight in the college cafeteria.

Autumn’s back to school season strikes me with concern. Eating disorders are often triggered by the college experience. It’s littered with unhealthy food opportunities, everything from pizza delivery to vending machines; therefore, disordered eating opportunities can also abound. Life can become a food fight.

It certainly was my reality. As a child and a teenager who always struggled with her weight, I determined college to be my “reinvention.” If I could just be thin, I could be a new, better person.

Prepping for college, I engaged in a diet. However, I still was obsessed with food the entire time. There’s nothing like restriction to keep your attention on the forbidden object of desire, right?

But one thing I never bothered to deal with was my relationship with food.

“Is not life more than food?”

Jesus, in Matthew 6:25

And I did have a relationship, a quite dysfunctional one at that. Food was my comfort, my friend, my enemy, my reward and, as I became more mired in bulimia, my punishment. It took care of every need. However, that was not its job. It was meant to keep me alive and healthy. Period.

But my disordered thinking could not see that. Instead, I saw war.

“But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.”

Romans 7:23

And war didn’t stop at food. It spread to conflicting messages; it was all or nothing, thin versus eating, being a “good girl” or a “bad girl.” Eventually I was engulfed in anorexia, at an unhealthy two digit weight, starving for days at a stretch. And that anorexic condition eventually morphed into bulimia when my ravenous state took control; I gained over one hundred pounds within nine months. Now, I experienced heart fluttering, shortness of breath and suicidal thoughts. I was miserable and out of control.

Eating disorders don’t happen overnight. Often, these behaviors have been years in the making. However, college, with the major lifestyle changes, stressors and pressuring expectations of young adulthood can lay groundwork for disordered eating to thrive. Whether it’s the need to compete in athletics, measure up to parental or peers’ expectations or cope with anxiety and massive changes, many young men and women see their chosen eating disorder as their “answer.” And so, they learn the techniques, sometimes even teaching them to fellow roommates, practice the disordered behaviors and, before long, come to discover they have gone further than they ever dreamed possible. Personal health, goals and life plans are all threatened.

And, most damaging of all is the spiritual impact. The eating disorders’ lies often do an insidious and thorough job of convincing the young person of the ultimate lie: God hates you and will not/cannot save you; therefore, it’s hopeless. That’s where I found myself.

And, it’s taken me years to spiritually relearn God’s Truth.

 “I have chosen you and have not cast you away.”

Isaiah 41:9

“Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all flesh. Is there anything too hard for Me?”

Jeremiah 32:27

 “The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, ‘Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.’”

                                                             Jeremiah 31:3             

But how much pain could have been avoided if, upon going to college, I was aware of the spiritual, emotional and physical dangers resulting from the eating disorder path?

“My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge…”

Hosea 4:6

Knowledge.

This time of year, back to school emphasizes education. And, it’s at this time of year I encounter many frantic college-bound young people, with food, weight, image and self-esteem issues.

 So, along with God’s Word, which never comes back without its intended purpose accomplished (Isaiah 55:11), I’ve provided some questions and eating disorder symptoms to look out for if you believe someone is struggling, or if you, yourself are affected.

Eating Disorder Signs:

Perfectionistic about appearance and achievement

Obsessed with image, food, dieting, counting calories, etc.

Excessive exercising (hours at a time)

Isolation from family and friends and secretive behavior (in example: exercising in the middle of the night, binge and purge sessions when alone, constant weighing of oneself)

Drastic weight loss, weight gain, fluctuations, (may also have a puffy face, scraped knuckles and hair loss)

Possession of laxatives, diet pills, diuretics and “thinspo” material

Stealing family members’, friends’ or roommates’ food and money

Self-critical, depressed and/or displaying erratic mood swings

Displaying cross addictive behavior: in example, alcohol/drug consumption, shopping, sexual activity, self-injury

Wearing excessively baggy clothes

Frequent trips to the bathroom, especially after eating

Frequent absences from classes, work or other activities

Questions To Ask… Do I having an eating disorder?

Do I expect to be perfect?

God’s answer to that question…

“The Lord will perfect that which concerns me…”

Psalm 138:8

What are my definitions of beauty/performance/worth?

God’s answer to that question…

I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made…”

Psalm 139:14

How do I view food?

God’s answer to that question…

“Is not life more than food?”

Jesus, in Matthew 6:25

How do I view exercise?

God’s answer to that question…

“For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.”

1 Timothy 4:8

How do I see myself right now?

God’s answer to that question…

“Since you were precious in my sight… I have loved you…”

Isaiah 43:4

If the answer to any eating disorder question is “yes,” it’s not hopeless. But it does require action, professional help and support from others.

If You Have Anorexia Nervosa…

Don’t diet. Never ever. Instead design a meal plan that gives your body all the nutrition it needs for health and growth. Also get 30 to 60 minutes of exercise or physical activity three to five days a week. More than that is too much.

Ask someone you trust for an honest, objective opinion of your weight. If they say you are normal weight or thin, believe them.

If You Have Bulimia Nervosa or Binge Eating Disorder…

Don’t let yourself get too hungry, too angry, too lonely, too tired, or too bored. All these states are powerful binge triggers. Watch for them, and when they first appear, deal with them in a healthy manner instead of letting the tension build until bingeing and purging become the release of choice.

Make sure that every day you touch base with friends and loved ones. Enjoy being with them. It sounds corny, but hugs really are healing.

Keep tabs on your feelings. Several times a day ask yourself how you feel. If you get off track, do whatever the situation requires to get back to your comfort zone.

ANRED: Self Help Tips (Used with Permission)

And it requires looking at the real truth of the situation.

“The truth shall set you free.”

John 8:32

So, with “back to school,” let’s take this opportunity to educate ouselves. There is freedom, health, life and relationship with the True God behind it all!

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.”

Jeremiah 29:11

“Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.”

3 John 1:2

It’s not a perfect process; it’s ongoing, filled with teachable moments.

And that’s inspiring and comforting. If we have engaged in any kind of “food fight,” God can help us live and win concerning it.

“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go: I will guide you with My eye.”

Psalm 32:8

It’s about daily decisions, setbacks and triumphs. It’s about discovering our unique one- on- one relationship with God. That takes work and time.

So, the next time we catch ourselves in the middle of a food fight, let’s turn to God and look at it through His perspective.

“Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.”

3 John 1:2

Once we know that, we can be better armed for freedom and a healthy life with both God AND food.

Copyright © 2016 by Sheryle Cruse

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment