Sunday, August 21, 2016

The Attacking Fox


 

Recently, local news coverage focused on a weird occurrence in the Twin Cities metro area. Apparently, around one of Minnesota’s 10,000 lakes, there were wild fox attacks of two lake goers. They were enjoying the beauty of the summer day, walking their dogs and biking, when, blamm-o- they’re fending off an element of nature who insists on sinking its teeth in their legs.

This “shouldn’t have” happened. After all, this was a scenic area, open to the public. People had been hiking, biking and walking their dogs for years in this place, with no incidents like this.

As I watched the broadcast segments, complete with updates on how these unfortunate individuals were in the process of receiving rabies shots “just in case,” I was struck by how, we are, likewise, occasionally hit from a strange attack, seemingly “out of nowhere.”

These things don’t make sense. They include the betrayals from least likely loved ones, the lethal diagnosis, spiting our healthy lifestyle choices and the extreme act of nature which ravages our homes and families.

Despite our intentions and efforts, these “things” happen.

“I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favor to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

Ecclesiastes 9:11

Yet, with that eternally said, it often still doesn’t cancel the “why question” we ask when these things hit.

“Why is this happening to me?”

Scripture gives us abundant answers, even if they feel far from satisfying...

 “But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me.”

John 15:21
“The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord.”

Matthew 10:24

“For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.”

1 Corinthians 13:12

We see through our life glass very darkly. We don’t understand.

But there is purpose; there is meaning, even if/when we don’t see it. And, spiritually speaking, there is merit...

“For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;”

2 Corinthians 4:17

Again, it’s not satisfying to our carnal natures.

What is the proverbial fox attacking you right now?

 If nothing is going on, just wait.

It’s not to be negative; it’s to be realistic.

Again...

“I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favor to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

Ecclesiastes 9:11

Yet, we are to take comfort in still more powerful reality checks...

“…I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, 'My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.' From the east I summon a bird of prey; from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose. What I have said, that I will bring about; what I have planned, that I will do.”

Isaiah 46:9-11

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.”

Jeremiah 29:11

No matter what the attack “attempt” may be, the ultimate counterattack challenge is for each of us to respond with the Word from the Most High.

“For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”

Hebrews 4:12

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.”

Isaiah 55:8-9

Scripture, indeed, conquers all!

Copyright © 2016 by Sheryle Cruse

 

No comments:

Post a Comment