Thursday, October 20, 2016

The Big Picture


 
What does scripture have to do with this adorable tiny mouse sitting in the middle of a bed?
 

The both portray the existence of the big picture reality.

I’m sure, by now, you have heard the phrase, “don’t sweat the small stuff.” It’s trotted out whenever we get caught up in the irritation, the tediousness or the absurdity of life.

And, depending upon our circumstances, temperaments and attitudes, we respond in variety of ways.

For example...

We are laid back concerning the issue.

We can freak out.

We can rage.

We can worry.

No matter where we fall within the spectrum of reactions and attitudes, spiritual truth dictates certain inescapable things for humanity. Life, with all of its uncertainty and challenge, happens to each of us. It’s inevitable.

“To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:”

Ecclesiastes 3:1

“…time and chance happeneth to them all.”

Ecclesiastes 9:11

“For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.”

1 Corinthians 13:12

We will experience pain, loss, death, disappointment, frustration and mistakes. Likewise, we will also experience love, joy, happiness, peace, fulfillment and success. It is a mixed bag. Everyone receives this bag; there are no exceptions.

Yet, we can often be tempted to believe a “woe is me” mentality about our personal circumstances. And, operating from that perspective, we also can employ our “why me” question.

In our minds, we may rationalize our deserving of a complete and thorough explanation. I know I have desired such an explanation.

However, the Divine’s response to that expectation/demand?

 “I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.”

John 16:12

Har-rumph... That shuts that down, huh?

But, it’s not a shutdown for shutdown’s sake.

Rather, it’s out of a love, mercy and a complete knowing of our human nature.

You know, this human nature...

“For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust.”

Psalms 103:14

Furthermore, if we look a little closer at John 16:12, we see the principle, “delay is not denial” at work.

We are not told we’ll never know; we’re told we just won’t know right now.

“For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.”

1 Corinthians 13:9-12

It’s not to discourage us. If we can adjust our perspective ever so slightly, to embrace we are in process, improving and becoming all we are supposed to be, we can, perhaps, relax and take in “the big picture” more easily and enjoyably.

 “But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.”

2 Corinthians 3:18

Let’s go back to the mouse image. Check out his facial expression and posture.

Now look at yourself in the mirror. What does your facial expression and posture look like?

Are they similar or complete opposites?

It’s a lofty goal of mine, but I want to resemble this little mouse, just basking in the moment, knowing he is small in a big bed, yet not stressing about it. To him, taking in this big picture concept is wonderful.

Let’s hope each of us can arrive to that shared perspective about our lives.

Copyright © 2016 by Sheryle Cruse

 

No comments:

Post a Comment