Monday, November 7, 2016

Cured Versus Healing


 

I often get asked the question, as a Christian, “Does God heal instantly?”

My response is, “Yes He can; He has that Power.”

I encounter the frustration, however, as, it appears MOST of the time, He works in process, instead of an instantaneous “poof” moment.

A big word I often hear from others in recovery is “cured.” And I hear it the most with eating disorder recovery, from individuals, often perfectionistic (like myself), who want instant recovery. The “poof-ta-dah” kind of result is desired.

However, that isn’t exactly how complex issues are resolved (more fun news).

“Cure” is defined in the following ways:

Restoration of health; recovery from disease.

 

 A method or course of medical treatment used to restore health.

 

 An agent, such as a drug, that restores health; a remedy.

 

Something that corrects or relieves a harmful or disturbing situation.

 

And it is often used in place of “healing.” And that definition reads as follows:

To restore to health or soundness; cure.

 

To set right; repair.

 

 To restore (a person) to spiritual wholeness.

 

To become whole and sound; return to health.

 

Are they then, therefore, the same?

Not necessarily…

Healing is a big word often mentioned in the Bible; it’s God’s specialty…

“He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions.”

Psalms 107:20

“But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.”

Isaiah 53:5

“And Jesus saith unto him, ‘I will come and heal him.’”

Matthew 8:7

“For I will restore health unto thee, and I will heal thee of thy wounds, saith the LORD...”

Jeremiah 30:17

That’s just for starters.

So what are we to do with ourselves, “the cure” and healing?” Where does one start and another end?

In my own recovery, I’ve experienced gradual healing, over years. I have had some advancing moments which have altered my life.

But, in my recovery, it’s been about gradual unfolding, when I was at a point ready for the particular kind of healing.

“But let patience have her perfect work...”

James 1:4

 I may have thought I was ready and wanted to be instantly cured, but the gradual healing dealt with deeper issues, things which took longer to process fully and get fuller benefits from.

“I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.”

John 16:12

 “For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known...”

1 Corinthians 13:12-13

“He hath made everything beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.”

Ecclesiastes 3:11

And that doesn’t come from thirty seconds in a microwave.

I think, when it comes to recovery and to our imperfect selves at large, we’d do ourselves a favor to embrace the unfolding healing process, rather than an instant “cure-all” moment.

“Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.”

1 John 3:2

We are in process; none of us have “arrived.” We are going from one glory to another…

“But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.”

2 Corinthians 3:18

We are, indeed, going from healing to healing. It’s not about the cure; it’s about an ongoing life. Let’s live it then!

Copyright © 2016 by Sheryle Cruse

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment