Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Trudging the Road Less Traveled




“Doth not he see my ways, and count all my steps?”

Job 31:4

I saw this image recently and I found it apropos. This time of year, after all.



Roads. Think about just how many of them you and I have traveled in our lives, thus far. How many millions of steps have we taken? And how many of those roads were painful? Lonely? Frustrating? Heartbreaking?

Yeah.

So, it can be all the more daunting to entertain taking any further steps as the future awaits. The beginning of a new year? It can seem too overwhelming. Yes, it’s a scary, difficult looking road, symbolically, trudging through the snow, alone, on a wintery night.

And how many of us really want to take that road? Still, we have to choose. Like the famous poem goes…

 “Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;



Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,



And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.



I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.”



“The Road Not Taken,” Robert Frost



No matter what road we take, no matter what steps we choose, The Most High is there.

“When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straightened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble.”

Proverbs 4:12

It may feel like taking cold comfort in that. But dare to accept it as you take that next scary step in the unfamiliar future.

Happy New Year!

Copyright © 2019 by Sheryle Cruse


No comments:

Post a Comment