Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Know Me Better



In our culture, we’re often admonished to “stay in the present.” We’re told to stop and smell the roses, to appreciate what we have in our lives, to take everything in, as we experience the moment.


And, as if we didn’t hear this sentiment enough in our everyday lives, the holiday season amplifies it even more. And arguably, nothing captures it quite as well as that of the literary classic, “A Christmas Carol” by Charles Dickens.

“Come in, come in! and know me better, man! I am the Ghost of Christmas Present. Look upon me! You have never seen the like of me before!”


This character is often portrayed as a robust figure, decked out in a lush robe, a full beard and a garland wreath encircling his head. He brings with him prosperity, joy, laughter, and at times, chastisement…


Ebenezer Scrooge: [on Tiny Tim] “Tell me, Spirit... Will he live?”
Ghost of Christmas Present: “I see an empty place at this table. I see a crutch without an owner, carefully preserved. If these shadows remain unaltered by the future, the child will die.”
Ebenezer Scrooge: “No. Say he'll be spared.”
Ghost of Christmas Present: “If these shadows remain unaltered by the future, none other of my species will find him here. But if he is to die, then let him die...! ‘AND DECREASE THE SURPLUS POPULATION!’"
Ebenezer Scrooge: “You use my own words against me?”
Ghost of Christmas Present: “Yes! So perhaps, in the future, you will hold your tongue until you have discovered where the surplus population is, and WHO it is. It may well be that, in the sight of Heaven, you are more worthless and less fit to live than MILLIONS like this poor man's child.”

In spite of our many efforts, you and I cannot escape the present; it exists, whether or not we acknowledge it. Yes, we can choose to ignore it, take it for granted and spite it. But any of these efforts are in vain. The present exists, regardless.


Where are we, you and I, this time of year? How would we answer the Ghost of Christmas Present? Will we accept the invitation, of the present moment?


“Come in, come in! and know me better…”


It’s up to each one of us. Stay in the present moment? We choose.

Copyright © 2019 by Sheryle Cruse


No comments:

Post a Comment