Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Twisting the Rubik’s Cube

Yep, I’m going nostalgic here. Remember this little bugger?

Ah, yes, it’s the infamous Rubik’s cube from the 1980’s. I remember, as a kid, being tormented, frustrated and utterly obsessed with solving this square riddle. I spent hours trying to get the individual sides all one color- to no avail. I would twist to the left, to the right, up, down; I followed the latest “strategies” I learned from some kid, the key “trick” to the whole infuriating cube. Nothing. Multiple colors still persisted on each side of that blasted thing! And I came close to spraining my wrists as I tried to twist that colorful block all perfect, all in vain.
I should have known that this cube was a snapshot of eating disorder behaviors to come. For what also existed for me, as a child, was this root riddle of being my “right weight,” but never, of course, seemingly achieving it, as I was that dreaded kid with a “weight problem.”
Like the cube, I was obsessed with figuring the weight loss thing out, twisting, moving, trying the latest “trick” diet, hurting myself in the process. Like the cube, I didn’t achieve the desired result.
Why not? Because, I insisted on doing it my way! We can come up with all sorts of little answers, schemes, ideas, strategies and gimmicks, in all areas of our lives, can’t we? But are they of God- or are they just our own bright little (and often desperate) ideas?
“A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.”
Proverbs 16:9
God has so much for us, including His Wisdom and Guidance. But we need to approach and seek the Source of it all, God, FOR it! God tells us that He will lead, help and guide us; He also tells us, as well, that His Will be accomplished, ultimately!
“Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the LORD thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.”
 Isaiah 48:17
“He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.”
 Psalms 23:2
 “For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me.”
Psalms 31:3
“Our soul waiteth for the LORD: he is our help and our shield.”
Psalms 33:20
“Many plans are in the human heart, but the advice of the LORD will endure.”
Proverbs 19:21
“But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations.”
Psalm 33:11
This was a huge revelation for me in my recovery when God showed me that wishing to be an emaciated weight was NOT His Will for me. It wasn’t because He was forcing me to a life sentence of being miserable. No. God’s will for me was HEALTH!!!!
“Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers.”
3 John 1:2
However, I was too busy twisting my own wrong, distorted images and thoughts, trying to make them into my “perfect” reality, just like that cube. It didn’t work though.
As God, life and time are consistently teaching me, the goal is not perfection; it’s health- of spirit, mind, emotions, thoughts and yes, body, as well.
Where are we “twisting” ourselves, like the Rubik’s cube, these days? Before we twist and force something to happen, let’s stop and really ask ourselves the following question:
“Is this God’s Will for me?”
Wait…wait quietly. See if we get our answers. Let’s look to God; we’re looking, at least, in the right direction. In the meantime, let’s be blessed and imperfect, knowing that we’re never disqualified from Jeremiah 29:11:
“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
And no, that Rubik’s cube still goes colorfully unsolved for me. It now makes a great paperweight.

No comments:

Post a Comment