Saturday, April 7, 2012

Last Laugh?


When I was a kid, I was teased and laughed at a lot. One of the things that taught me was how impossible it was for me to succeed at being myself, how hopeless things were in life. It placed doubt, insecurity and anxiety in me- all because of the bully behavior.

We’re now at Resurrection Sunday, the honoring of Jesus Christ rising from the dead, as Savior and Lord. This is the ultimate of impossible circumstances. Regarding the claim that Jesus was Savior of the world and “King of the Jews,” what was the response?

Laughter.

“The guards in charge of Jesus began mocking and beating him.”
Luke 22:63


“He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, ‘I am the Son of God.’”
Matthew 27:43


And, even before His death and Resurrection, Jesus was laughed at during His life. One notable instance was the account of Jairus’ Daughter (Mark 5:35-43), which, if you know me and my own story, was held personal meaning regarding recovery and defying the odds. In this account, in fact, when told the sick girl was dead, Jesus’ response was as follows:

“…‘the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth.”
Mark 5:39

And what was their response to that explanation?

“…And they laughed him to scorn…”
Mark 5:40


And, even concerning something as final and hopeless as death of the Cross, what was Jesus’ response?

“…‘I am the one who brings people back to life, and I am life itself. Those who believe in me will live even if they die.’”
John 11:25


And , of course, what has been the response, even today, often, to that?

Laughter.

“…And they laughed him to scorn…”
Mark 5:40


You and I can mock the Resurrection and Jesus all day long if we choose. Yes, God-given free will covers that. Or, we can make another choice, one which relevantly applies the resurrect Jesus to our lives.

What do you need to be resurrected today? What looks dead, hopeless and when any discussion of it being alive comes about, is only met with laughter?

With Jesus, it’s possible; it’s to be relevant. For you. For your life. Yes, anything and everything in your life.

Jesus said…

“…’ I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.”
John 10:10

What do we do with that statement? Believe it? Apply it? Or laugh at it?
Yep, from here, it’s our choice.

“That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death.”
Philippians 3:10

This Resurrection Sunday, choose not to just look at this day as a day of chocolate bunnies or colored eggs. Don’t look at it, even, as only Jesus being resurrected from death. See it as your resurrection! Yes, even here and now, wherever you find yourself in your life. It’s not too late; there’s hope!

Know Jesus, know God’s Love and Know what it means to have a resurrected life! And then with Victory and joy, have that last laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment