Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Steps of…you?




“The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.”
Psalms 37:23


When I was in college, to accumulate enough credits, I decided to take a ballroom dancing class.

Yeah. I know. But it was for the credits.

Anyway, I was miserable at it. I could not get the steps down and whatever steps I DID make, were usually on my dance partners toes.

Wonderful.

Can you relate? You may have never taken a dance class in your life; or, you may be a fabulous dancer. But each one of us has run into the quandary of taking steps… or missteps. See yourself here?

So, it can be laughable, especially in our misstep valley moments, to ever believe God was guiding ‘em. Some of us have made some huge, epic, embarrassing, disastrous and life altering missteps.

“What, then, can God do with this?” we think.

But God sees differently- and completely.

“Doth not he see my ways, and count all my steps?”
Job 31:4


And none of us are too difficult of a project for Him (Jeremiah 32:27).
I think, however, most of us get confused on that Truth. We can often mistake the messy missteps of our lives with failure and our own garden variety, “oh, worm is me” perception of ourselves.

“O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.”
Jeremiah 10:23


We, may, indeed, give a lot of wormy, stupid, pathetic choice evidence “disqualifying” us from ever making a correct, let alone, destined, purposeful step in life.

But God…

Two of the most encouraging, “reality check” words I’ve had to apply to my life, especially when I’ve just stepped on a landmine. But God…

Indeed, God is working, is stepping, into the relevance of our lives. And yes, part of that includes a purpose and a destiny.

“…being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.”
Philippians 1:6

But it doesn’t happen overnight; we’d all love that instant overnight reality, but we’d blow it if it happened that way (c’mon, you know you would; I’m not the only one who’d make a big mess of things).

Yes, living life- or recovering from life- whichever one applies to you, still requires work. (Sigh, I know).

It requires steps. Just like a dance class…

“For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:”
Isaiah 28:10




Nope, it’s not the answer we’re giddy, squealing up and down about, but it’s the way to go. And, if we go with God, we will get “there.”
It’s God’s Will for each of us that we prosper, be in health and have prospering souls (3 John 1:2). And only God, really, truly, knows the whole story, missteps and all…

“Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:”
Isaiah 46:10


Romans 8:28 exists for a reason; we need it!

“We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God-those whom he has called according to his plan.”

I believe, even with our messed up steps, God can work incredible things. Thank God He’s of the Mind to never let anything be wasted…

“…‘Gather up the fragments that remain, that nothing be lost.’”
John 6:12


You’re not hopeless, even if your last steps felt that way. God has it covered; He has you! Turn your thoughts, focus and steps to Him; He is helping you.

“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go: I will guide you with My eye.”
Psalm 32:8

Don’t worry about your steps; He knows all about every single one of them!

So, wherever you are now, today, take that next step toward God!

No comments:

Post a Comment