Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Troubled

When I was a child, I was constantly anxious; I believed I was too much trouble. It was partly from my abusive environment and partly from my own nature. I was “one of those kids” who believed at any moment, something bad would happen.
And there have been many studies indicating how anxiety may be a genetic factor, further affecting addictive behavior and even eating disorders. Indeed, troubled minds are a real thing. I started thinking about the word, “troubled.” Here are some familiar definitions: A state of distress, affliction, difficulty, or need: tried to console them in their trouble; got in trouble with the police. A distressing or difficult circumstance or situation: I've had troubles ever since I took this job. A cause or source of distress, disturbance, or difficulty: The new recruits were a trouble to him. Effort, especially when inconvenient or bothersome: went to a lot of trouble to find this book. A condition of pain, disease, or malfunction: heart trouble; car trouble. Seeing all of the variations of the troubled word is quite troubling, isn’t it? Furthermore, what complicates things is when we are supposed to navigate through life in spite of its inevitability. It doesn’t feel reassuring. And for those of us worriers, it can add all kinds of extra conditions, pressures and standards, often self-imposed, which leave us feeling anything but peaceful. We may worry about being good enough, being perfect, being thin, being an achiever and being loved/loveable. And that can eventually spill over onto our relationship with God. Yay. More great news. Scripture, however, tells us to NOT be troubled. “Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.” John 14:1 Our first thought? “How in the world am I supposed to do THAT?” For most of us, it feels impossible and certainly not easy or pleasant. And heeding God’s instructions on trouble doesn’t automatically fit into our instant microwave preference. Just “add water and stir?” Not quite. Scripture, indeed, gives us more thought provoking news about have an untroubled, God-focused mind… “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” John 14:27 Who’s screaming right now? Yeah, we don’t exactly jump up and down with glee. So, what’s to be done? Well, first, we need to have ongoing focus on God, not perfect focus. Faith gets messy; faith gets littered with stumbles and mistakes. I know. It doesn’t feel like anything in the way of “good news” to hear that. Nevertheless, this God thing is about relationship. That involves process and time; it’s an ongoing element. And it requires recognition of the Truth WE are not God; only He IS!!! And thank GOD for THAT!!! When we’re troubled, we need to remember Who God IS… “Know ye that the LORD he is God…be thankful unto him…bless his name. For the LORD is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.” Psalms 100:3-5 “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” Psalms 46:1 That’s just for starters. This remembrance is not automatic, however. It requires practice, action…faith? And part of that faith involves believing God is not overwhelmed by any of us, let alone, anything we go through… “Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh. Is there anything too hard for Me?” Jeremiah 32:27 Still troubled? God isn’t. He has you; He has me. He has “IT,” whatever “IT” may be. Therefore, let’s give more power to that Truth in our lives than any trouble. God isn’t just looking for something to occupy His time. He loves us. Right now. In spite of perceived trouble. “The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, ‘Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.’” Jeremiah 31:3 “We love him, because he first loved us.” 1 John 4:19 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” John 3:16 Let’s choose to not be troubled, to the best of our abilities, flawed as they may be. Let’s choose to allow God to be God in our lives. Copyright © 2013 by Sheryle Cruse

No comments:

Post a Comment