Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Yes, Even J-Lo...

Sigh. It’s not an earth-shattering revelation. It’s still irritating and frustrating, but not surprising. Recently, Jennifer Lopez revealed how, early in her career, she was pressured to change her very famous curvy body. "Early on, my family really made me love who I was and what I looked like. My body was nothing out of the ordinary in my neighborhood," explained Lopez, who grew up in New York's Bronx neighborhood with her Puerto Rican parents. "When I first started on television [as a Fly Girl on 'In Living Color'], people, and even my own manager at the time, would tell me I had to make all of these changes." (Winter issue of Cosmopolitan Latinas Magazine) Here we go again. Over the years, Lopez has been cited as one of those celebrities having a more “real woman” appeal. How much emphasis has been made about her derriere, after all? Still, it has not come without opposition. And it has not come without a stubborn belief in your value, often going against the dominant pressure to conform to a certain look. "But you have to stand up and say, 'There's nothing wrong with me or my shape or who I am, you're the one with the problem!'" she says. "And when you can really believe that, all of a sudden other people start believing too." Bravo- and yes, easier said than believed AND practiced! We all need help in this area. But God loves variety- and that variety is beyond a narrow, confining list of beauty features: white, thin, tall, slim hipped and big busted. God has decided we’re beautiful, no matter what our dimensions may be: “O my dove…let me see your form…for your form is lovely.” Song of Solomon 2:14 People will always have differing opinions; trends and styles will change. So, can we please stop placing such demand on one dominant presentation of beauty, let people be people, women be women, no matter what they look like? How beautiful would THAT be? Copyright © 2013 by Sheryle Cruse

No comments:

Post a Comment