Thursday, February 6, 2014

Recovery In Process: The Fairy Approach?

Lady Gaga recently stated the following in an issue of Harper's Bazaar:

“I don't have an eating disorder anymore.”

Furthermore, she talks about her growth process...

"I am better with food. I don't have an eating disorder anymore. I'm also better at not letting people take advantage of me. Five years ago, when I spotted someone with a hidden agenda, I allowed them to stay around me. I didn't want to believe it. I thought if I ignored it, then they would eventually see me again -- that I'm a human being and not a doll. But it doesn't work that way. I speak up now. I realized that it's my own fault that people take advantage. I should be around people who cherish my talents, my health, my time. I'm not a pawn for anyone's future business. I'm an artist. I deserve better than to be loyal to people who only believe in me because I make money."

I see, indeed, how maturity gives us a perception, allowing for more healing of our self-image.

“But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.”
2 Corinthians 3:18

It’s not a onetime, perfect deal; it’s ongoing.

Indeed and Amen.

I’ve recently heard of the F%*& Off Fairy (you fill in the blanks for yourself).



Anyway, this humorous fairy anecdote states how, as we mature, we learn how to better stand up for ourselves and not conform to unhealthy and unrealistic standards. Again, it’s not onetime or perfect. Nevertheless, a confidence comes across, taking ownership of ourselves, as is, in spite of what beauty standards scream against us.

So, I suppose this humorous little F%*& Off Fairy is a lot more helpful to us than the tooth fairy or Disney princesses.

I prefer the “in process-ness of recovery.” We’re already who God says we are:

I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made…”
Psalm 139:14

It’s a Truth most of us learn over a lifetime, not an instant. But, God help us, to LEARN it!
Copyright © 2014 by Sheryle Cruse


No comments:

Post a Comment