Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Grow In Grace


This time of year, I’m reminded of my confirmation in the Lutheran church. For many of us out there in certain denominations, this is an adolescent rite of passage.
And really, if you ask a typical fifteen year old what’s significant about it, you’ll probably get responses like, “I don’t know,” “My parents made me do this” and “It’s how I’m able to join the church.”
Indeed, I felt those responses as I was put through my Lutheran paces. In my eighth and ninth grade years, I attended the weekly confirmation classes. The silver lining to these often tedious and boring classes was that we got out of school early to attend the classes.
Anything to get out of school, you know.
Anyway, for those two years, we memorized certain things like the Nicene and the Apostles Creed, took weekly “sermon notes” from mandatorily attended Sunday services and did weekly workbook assignments. Yep, it felt like school.
And, when all was said and done, our confirmation ceremony had our class outfitted in white robes and red carnations.
As we confirmed our Lutheran faith, the pastor placed his hand on our heads, blessing us for active participation in the church.
Great theory- application of theory? Well, less than great.
You see, once I was confirmed I was “done.” I had completed the classes; there was no need to go any further. If only I hadn’t come to that conclusion.
It’s years later, in hindsight, I’ve seen how my task-oriented nature not only contributed to my eating disorder mindsets, but also to my harmful spiritual perspective as well. And I didn’t realize how apropos my assigned confirmation verse would be in playing into my dysfunction:

 “I seek you with all my heart;
    do not let me stray from your commands.”
Psalm 119:10

While the jury is still out about the accuracy of that first bit of the verse, the second part of it, however, was right on target.
Rules. Commands. Legalism. And eventually, unrealistic perfectionism.
Not exactly the stuff of “Grow in Grace,” as was written on my confirmation certificate.
And that grace thing was a huge stumbling block. I was thoroughly convinced it was about results and performance. There was no room for error. That thinking eventually carried over into the development of anorexia nervosa, as I was never “thin enough.”
And, when it came to God, I thought I had to earn His love and acceptance. There was no grace, no, not for me, anyway.
But Grace is the point. God knew we couldn’t save ourselves, no matter how well we performed or how “good” we were.

“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
Ephesians 2:8-9

Grace is one of God’s M. O.’s.

“Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)”
Ephesians 2:5

And that’s been quite a lesson for me to learn, especially while in recovery for my eating disorders. Grace does not dictate we clean ourselves up and get it together. Grace helps us in our imperfect struggles.

 “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.”
Hebrews 4:16

And Grace doesn’t depend on us; it’s because Of Jesus’ performance, not ours.

“But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever. Amen.”
2 Peter 3:18

Whether or not we’re in recovery, each one of us needs to get an accurate assessment of grace and apply it to our lives.

The invitation to “grow in grace” has, indeed, been sent out.

Will we accept the invitation?
Copyright © 2014 by Sheryle Cruse


No comments:

Post a Comment