Tuesday, April 1, 2014

What Passes...


I love this image.

It hits it dead on the nail. We have such a distorted view of what constitutes sexy; forget about beautiful.
This image of Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe illustrate our oppressive image standards.

Once upon a time, back in the 1950’s, Marilyn Monroe was the epitome of desire and beauty. Men went weak at knees for her platinum blonde hair, beauty-marked face and, of course, hourglass curvy figure.


And, years later, she’s still a pop culture idol, known as a sex symbol and a sure thing when it comes to merchandise. I, myself, have a Marilyn Monroe doll and Christmas ornament, featuring her likeness.
 When I was preparing a presentation on popular culture’s ever changing beauty standards years ago, I discovered Marilyn, back in the 1950’s, was a size 12 or 14. Some even speculate she was a size 16!
Today we would call her “fat.”
And let’s not forget about Jane Russell. 

Yet another full bodied star of a bygone era, her bust line was Howard Hughes’ inspiration in the creation of a brassiere built specifically for her, while filming the 1943 movie, “The Outlaw.” 


Years later, in the 1970’s, she was the pitch woman for the Platex bra commercials.
Today we would call her “fat.”
Years later, our trending beauty standards continue to change. 

Kicked off by the waif-like figure of British model Twiggy in the 1960’s, 

this body type would again resurface with a vengeance in the 1990’s, via another waif model, Kate Moss. This was the era known as “Grunge” and “Heroin Chic.”


And things have only become more extreme since. After the year 2000, the emphasis is now on “size zero,” sometimes even “size double zero.” The mind reels.

 And, for those of us triggered by perfectionism and image aesthetics, we can fall vulnerable to believing and striving for that body type. I did. In fact, at the height of my anorexia, I not only poured through fashion magazines, I also felt triumph when I saw I was thinner than the emaciated model on the cover and within the publication’s pages.

I was truly sick.

So, what passes for beautiful? Sexy? Lovable? Acceptable?

How about us...as is... right now...in spite of trends?

All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made that was made.”
John 1:3

I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made…”
Psalm 139:14

“O my dove…let me see your form…for your form is lovely.”
Song of Solomon 2:14

How about it?
Copyright © 2014 by Sheryle Cruse


No comments:

Post a Comment