Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Man vs Food star has show taken off air after 'thinspiration' rant

Saw this post today...Thoughtlessness and cruelty both need to have consequences, not rewards.

Adam Richman, star of Man vs Food and new show Man Finds Food, attacked commenters online with foul-mouthed tirades

Adam Richman, the US TV host whose former show Man vs Food has become a cult hit in recent years, has seen his new series Man Finds Food "postponed indefinitely" after he sent abusive comments during an argument on Instagram.
The furor began when Richman posted an Instagram photo with the caption: "Had ordered this suit from a Saville Row tailor over a year ago. Think I'm gonna need to take it in a little …" He added the hashtag #thinspiration.
One Instagram user criticised him for using the tag, saying it "glorifies negative media self-imagery that being thin is better as opposed to any other body style" (the term can be used on social networks and blogs to celebrate unnecessary and unhealthy weight loss). Richman responded by writing "DILLIGAF", which means "Does it look like I give a f***?" To other critics he wrote, "Oh eat a bag of s**t, dummy. No apology is coming. If it inspires someone to attain a healthy thinner body then that was what it was meant to do. Only f***** it seems was your dad's choice to go without a condom," and "grab a razor blade and draw a bath. I doubt anyone will miss you."
The comments have since been deleted, as have Richman's subsequent apologies, where he wrote: "I've responded to internet hate recently with vile words directed at those hating me. I am sorry, I should know better & will do better."
Now the Travel Channel, which was due to air his new show, has postponed the airing of his new show. The network has not commented on its reasons for the decision, instead stating simply: "Travel Channel is postponing the July 2 series premiere of Man Finds Food."
Richman has made another public apology, issuing a statement to ABC News: "I've long struggled with my body image and have worked very hard to achieve a healthy weight. I'm incredibly sorry to everyone I've hurt."


No comments:

Post a Comment