Friday, July 18, 2014

We don’t have to kill flies to have our names


Just yesterday, we lost a Broadway great, Elaine Stritch. 



She’s had a theatre career spanning decades.
In remembrance of her, I turned to good old Netflix and caught a documentary about her, “Elaine Stritch: Shoot Me.” And in the film, she recounted a time in which she, as a child, was restless, bothering her mother. In an aggravated response, her mother told her to amuse herself and leave her alone. So, Elaine did. She proceeded to kill a number of flies, spelling out her name. A foreshadowing of Marquee letters to come?
Anyway, what gripped me about that story was the power of name and identity. We often go to such vast lengths and even destructive extremes to be seen, to be known, to be significant.
But we already are those things.
Cue God.

“Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.”
Luke 10:20

“And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that thou mayest know that I, the LORD, which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel.”
Isaiah 45:3

“I have chosen you and have not cast you away.”
Isaiah 41:9

"Behold, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands; Your walls are continually before Me.”
Isaiah 49:16

“Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine!”
  Isaiah 43:1

We’d do well, therefore, to remember and apply these scriptures and spiritual truths. We’re loved and valuable, as is.

No fly killing required.

Copyright © 2014 by Sheryle Cruse


No comments:

Post a Comment