Sunday, August 3, 2014

A Cutting Away?


More often now, I’m confronted with individuals who not only suffer from eating disorders, but also self-injury. I’ve met many “cutters” over the years.

I recently came across this image:

It caught my attention because, whether the method is an eating disorder or a self-injury behavior, the goal is the same: to cut away the pain.

And with that desire to eradicate pain also lies a deep sense of self-loathing.

It gets to a heart issue and what each of us fundamentally believes about ourselves and our value in life.

“Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.”
Proverbs 4:23

 “For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he...”
Proverbs 23:7

 “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”
Matthew 6:21; Luke 12:34

Yet, John 14:1 gives us some hope concerning our heart issues.

“Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.”
John 14:1

Furthermore, God sees us differently than we see ourselves...

“Since you were precious in my sight… I have loved you…”
Isaiah 43:4

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.”
Isaiah 55:8-9

And these are just a sampling of those thoughts...

Behold, thou art fair, my love; behold, thou art fair; thou hast doves' eyes.”
Song of Solomon 1:15

O my dove…let me see your form…for your form is lovely.”
Song of Solomon 2:14

“Thou art all fair, my love; there is no spot in thee.”
Song of Solomon 4:7

If we would indeed, cut away the lies we’ve learned and convinced ourselves of over the years, these truths would remain and work to heal us.

Let’s endeavor, therefore, to focus on that. After all, God does not wish us harm...

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
Jeremiah 29:11
Therefore, why should we?
Copyright © 2014 by Sheryle Cruse






No comments:

Post a Comment