Sunday, June 21, 2015

Whistle Berry


 

“…‘Lord, show us the Father...’”

John 14:8

When I was a little girl, my dad tried, to teach me how to whistle, with no success. I would go around the house, making annoying sounds. It still didn’t change the fact I was not actually whistling.

You know the famous Lauran Bacall line to Humphrey Bogart in the film, “To Have and Have Not…”

“You know how to whistle, don’t you, Steve? You just put your lips together… and blow.”
 
 

No. It was not like that for me. “Wo-o-o-o-o-o….wo-o-o-o…” was more like it. And so, my dad called me Whistle Berry.

This memory, years later, has illustrated the unsuccessful fathering I received. It’s not about condemning anyone; it was what it was.

Nevertheless, the whistling lessons have shown me how, inevitably, when our human fathers fail us, God will pick up the slack; teach and love us as the ultimate Father.

“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go: I will guide you with My eye.”

Psalm 32:8

“The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.”

Jeremiah 31:3

It’s not about a perfect “happily ever after.” It’s not that simple. Our lives are complicated and imperfect. Some of us have come from the traumatic pain of abuse, divorce and abandonment. But, if we see the heart of God as Father, we see just how passionately He pursues us and will work with, through and in spite of our wreckage.

Perhaps you didn’t get the genuine fathering. Perhaps, the lessons you received were the pale whistle berry noise instead of the authentic loving whistling experience. It’s not hopeless; you are not hopeless.

“For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.”

Romans 8:15

Right now, there is a loving perfect Father. He wants you to know how much He loves you. He wants to teach you how to whistle.

“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.”

James 1:17

And that’s just the starting point!

“But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.”

1 Corinthians 2:9

Copyright © 2015 by Sheryle Cruse

 

No comments:

Post a Comment