Friday, July 29, 2011

The Chicken Hawk and Foghorn Leghorn- Animated David and Goliath?



One of my favorite cartoons was Foghorn Leghorn and the Chicken Hawk. Anyone else remember these two characters?

Recently, it’s struck me how, the Chicken Hawk, in a way, is quite like David, of David and Goliath fame. In so many of the cartoon episodes, we see how this plucky little Chicken Hawk takes on the giant challenge of a much larger Foghorn Leghorn. There’s no logical reason why this little guy should believe that he can take on Foghorn Leghorn. Nevertheless, he remains determined. He declares, with complete confidence, “I’m a Chicken Hawk and you’re my chicken!”

Could we substitute this statement with “I’m God’s Child and I have the Victory?”

God’s the key to it; it’s not our size, our strength or our circumstances. Look at David’s response to an impossibly mammoth Goliath:

“…Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied. This day will the LORD deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee…that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel. And all this assembly shall know that the LORD saveth not with sword and spear: for the battle is the LORD's, and he will give you into our hands.”

1 Samuel 17:45-47

Not too shabby. So, we can take our cue from this scripture passage; heck we can take our cue from the cartoon Chicken Hawk. See yourself as a conqueror, in spite of the “realities” around you. God had called you Victorious over your Goliath, over your Foghorn Leghorn. Be a Chicken Hawk, proclaiming your win, not your defeat!




No comments:

Post a Comment