Saturday, July 30, 2011

MTV Turns 30



I’m waxing video nostalgic this weekend; MTV turns 30 on August 1st. I’m watching the celebration, marathon, retrospective of this pop culture and music milestone. Oddly enough, perhaps, fitting enough, the broadcast is showing up on VH1 Classic, while regular MTV is showing a “Jersey Shore” Marathon.
Yeah. Ah, remember when MTV played music videos, not reality shows?

Anyway, looking at the old footage, it all seems so primitive now. There once was a time before Image dominance. There was a time before “Thriller” captured our attention.


There was a time before Madonna titillated us.


There was a time before the video star. Once upon a time, there was a radio star.

Anyone remember Wolfman Jack?


Now, however, we are a visual society. We need to see the image in order to hear the music.

So, were the Buggles right? Did video kill the radio star?


Hmmmm. We’ll see. But yes, in spite of my little blog entry here, I am indulging in this celebration, seeing some of the 1981 stuff for the first time (nope, didn’t get MTV until I was nineteen, unfortunately, but desperately wanted it). So, I’m absorbing- and reabsorbing all of it.

I’m still waiting to see the Buggles’ video.

Happy Birthday, MTV! Please play music videos again!

No comments:

Post a Comment