Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Light Switch




I’m not the most coordinated morning person. There have been too many mornings, in fact, I’ve stubbed numerous toes and collided into sharp points of things with my shins, all while just trying to turn the light switch on. Good morning.

But, despite my howling pain, the light switch is still there. And that brings a reminder, yet again, to my mind as I’m shaking off the clumsy pain: it’s about focus.

Focus. That mysterious concept is supposed to empower us all. However, how many of us feel only scattered and distracted?

Hello? Yoo hoo? Still with me or are you thinking about your “to do” list?

Thought so.

Anyway, it’s so hard to focus on the light, isn’t it? Most of the time, despite the light switch being there, we’re too caught up in our spiritual and emotionally stubbed toes and shins to even consider the light. So, we get confused, frustrated, heck, homicidal (don’t tell me I’m the only one with murder fantasies going on from time to time).

And then, the capper, we blame God for the confused torture and pain? How’s that for a successful plan? Well, it’s untrue, for starters…

“For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace...”
1 Corinthians 14:33


But if that’s all we’re focusing on in our lives, are we making it a true, but truly screwed up, self-fulfilling prophecy?

“For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he...”
Proverbs 23:7


God’s called us, however, to walk in the Light, not the darkness, even in spite of our bright idea plans…

“But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.”
1 John 1:7

Did you catch it? “but IF…”

That means light will happen in our lives IF we move toward the light switch, not away from it.

Yes, we focus on all of our other switched so much more, don’t we? There’s the switch of appetite; there’s the switch of pain. There’s the switch of distraction. There are probably thousands of these little buggers, all with the promise that if we “turn them on,” we’ll get our glorious answer of illumination and longed for desires.

But all we get are the stubbed toes and shins. We focused on the wrong thing.

Sigh. I know.

But it still isn’t hopeless. It just requires a refocus: Jesus. We all need help getting to the light switch; we’re all stumbling in one way or another. But it’s important to never believe that, in our stumbling, we’re finding any other answer, any other light except the illumination that Jesus was created for.

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.”
Isaiah 55:8-9

It’s all about Jesus, not our bright light bulb way of doing things.

“ …‘I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.’”
John 8:12

Our light bulbs will burn out, after all. But God’s Word, God’s Truth, God’s Light will remain forever.

“Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.”
Matthew 24:35

Something to remember as we stumble for the light switch, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment