Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Sin Will Find You Out


I first came across the New York City “sin will find you out” landmark near Times Square during Saturday Night Live’s cast roll call in the 1980’s.
 
It quotes Numbers 32:23:

“But if ye will not do so, behold, ye have sinned against the LORD: and be sure your sin will find you out.”

Yes, it’s a warning, not to take away our fun, but rather, to protect us. Because, let’s face it, sin is QUITE costly…

“But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.”

James 1:14-15

Scripture tells us to check ourselves before we wreck ourselves…

 “Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.”

Proverbs 4:23

And that’s no small thing. It’s challenging, because we can be so easily deceived. We can get to the point where we believe we’re getting away with sin.

“He hath said in his heart, God hath forgotten: he hideth his face; he will never see it.”

Psalms 10:11

Eh… not so fast…

“The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.”

Proverbs 15:3

And no, we’re not the first to be deluded. Ever hear of a guy named Satan?

“The pride of thine heart hath deceived thee, thou that dwellest in the clefts of the rock, whose habitation is high; that saith in his heart, Who shall bring me down to the ground?”

Obadiah 1:3

 “Thy terribleness hath deceived thee, and the pride of thine heart, O thou that dwellest in the clefts of the rock, that holdest the height of the hill: though thou shouldest make thy nest as high as the eagle, I will bring thee down from thence, saith the LORD.”

Jeremiah 49:16

Pride, sin and downfalls all seem to be buddies, don’t they?

“Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.”

Proverbs 16:18

Pride is an attitude; let’s get real. And that attitude comes from the heart. The heart is where we get tripped up.

“The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?”

Jeremiah 17:9

“For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:”

Matthew 15:19

It’s really not looking good for us, is it? But wait, there IS hope!

“Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.”

John 14:1

God is still on the scene, tending to us.  

“And I will give them a heart to know me, that I am the LORD: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God: for they shall return unto me with their whole heart.”

Jeremiah 24:7

But we have our part in the equation as well. Are we willing to be tended to?

 “Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”

Psalms 139:23-24

We have free will. It is our choice, based on our attitude, based on our hearts. What are we going to do concerning these realities?

Do we care- do we even know God’s perspective on these things? Do we know what He’s saying?

God has not left us utterly defenseless. He has given us His Word to guide us. Do we turn to it and employ it in our lives?

“Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.”

Psalms 119:11

And it’s not too much for God when, not if, we blow it. God is constantly leading and guiding us…

 “Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, This is the way, walk in it, whenever you turn to the right hand, and whenever turn to the left.’”

Isaiah 30:21

“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go: I will guide you with My eye.”

Psalm 32:8

Again, don’t be afraid.

“Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.”

John 14:1

God’s still invested: His Word, Jesus, His Grace…and let’s not forget His Love…

“The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.”

                                                             Jeremiah 31:3             

Let’s allow God, then, to truly and completely find us, instead of our sin! It is possible!!!

Copyright © 2015 by Sheryle Cruse

No comments:

Post a Comment