Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Be Mine




Here we go again- Valentine’s Day. I hear you groaning. Yes, once again, it’s that Hallmark holiday, pressuring us to buy cards, flowers, jewelry and candy.

Candy…

Like those message hearts….

 You know, it’s the hard, pastel colored heart-shaped candy with cutesy phrases on them like, “Hot Stuff,” “Kiss Me” and “Too Cute.”

And of course, one of the most popular candy heart and Valentine’s Day messages out there is “Be Mine.”


Now, I’ll admit to being and candy girl. However these hearts aren’t one of my favorites. First of all, in my opinion, they always taste like sugary chalk which has been kept in a stale box for years.

And, maybe it’s just me, but either the pastel pink or the pastel green hearts always tasted a little too much like Pepto-Bismol? Am I the only one that thinks so?

Anyway, the most exciting thing about the candy is the message.

And, with the depression, heartbreak and disappointment which come with this infamous heart holiday, I thought it was worth noting how much God loves each of us. Regardless of our love status: single, married, in a relationship or some hazy “other” description, God loves us unconditionally, 24/7.

“The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, ‘Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.’”

                                                             Jeremiah 31:3             

And He was the first to write the message heart down for us in His Word:

“…I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.”

Isaiah 43:1

Just a lil’ “pick me up” reality check.

You may have a broken heart now. You may be frustrated, lonely and disappointed. Or, you may be deliriously in love with the person of your dreams. Either way, it still doesn’t change God’s stance on you. You’re constantly in His thoughts.

 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you.”

Psalm 139:17-18

To put it in a candy context, imagine a dump truck spilling a mountain of pastel candy hearts. That’s just the tip of the “love you” iceberg!

God’s constantly pleading with you, “Be Mine.” Why not accept being His Valentine invitation?

Copyright © 2018 by Sheryle Cruse


No comments:

Post a Comment