Tuesday, August 17, 2010

"B.D.- Before Disorder"

Okay, we're toddling away on the new baby blog. Getting up and going, so, yes, I repeat and repost myself. Please have patience. Any minute now, I'll be up to speed.

Anyway, found this image of me recently. It was supposed to be a classic, preserved "moment in time" photo. But I was five- and squirmy- and not interested in preserving the serious moment. And, looking at it further, yes, I had no idea of what an eating disorder was. I had no idea that I'd devote so much time, energy, worry and thought to it. I had no idea that I'd write about it, that I'd view it as a  spiritual issue in how I perceived God. Nope. I wasn't there yet. Instead, this face was there. Four generations of family (not posted, in photo form, to protect family privacy),yet, here's me, with this mug.

Yep, I was "B.D." I was "Before Disorder." You, out there, remember that time? For me, I guess, it lasted until about 7 or 8. Unfortunately, because of eating disorders now, little girls are counting fat grams and calories, stepping on scales by 2 or 3. An image that strikes my heart is this toddler of a girl, standing on a scale. This is happening now. What next? A baby's first word is "diet?"

So, how do we get back to silly faces, let alone, right connection to God? Jesus.

"Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.'"
Matthew 19:14

Yeah, I know; it's easier said or read than experienced, the faith of that little child, who squirms, makes funny faces, doesn't care about appearance or decorum.

I'm going start making more silly faces today though. Who's with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment