Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Writing/Book Publication “Q & A”

Writing/Book Publication “Q & A”




I’ve been asked about my experience writing “Thin Enough,” as well as the publishing process. Here are some answers to some of those questions.



I think what I would most like to know from you is how you felt during the process of writing your book and then trying to get it published.



Whew! Okay, it’s a long story. The genesis of “T.E” started for me back in 1995; the book was published in 2005. I say this, not to discourage you; I’m not telling you that it will take 10 years to get published, but I mention it so that you won’t set yourself up for further disappointment and frustration, beyond what’s a natural part of the process. Publishing is a long process. From acceptance, to actual product on the shelves, it takes, on average, one year. That’s not necessarily including rewrites either. When this project started in 1995, it began as a performance art piece. Through the next years, it was re-written and shelved at various times. At different points, I “gave up” on it. But it still burned inside of me. It wouldn’t let go. If you have an idea that “will not go away,” pay attention. It’s God, more than likely, trying to get it accomplished through you.



Still, the idea you have now may not be the final product. God showed me through this “T. E.” process that time, events and life experiences had to unfold for me to write about them. Initially, in 1995, I thought it was going to happen “just like that.” Nope! Yes, we want it to happen overnight; it seldom does. But please don’t be discouraged. It has more to do with God’s timing, His work in you. His preparation of your readiness takes time; He needs to prepare BOTH you and the work you’re doing.



Were you overwhelmed?



Oh, yeah!!! I was overwhelmed, frustrated, disappointed, angry, hopeless, you name it! But again, it wasn’t because there was something horrible or worthless about the work. It wasn’t the right time. From 2000 on, I had significant experiences that became a part of the book, including, in example, my dad’s death. There was no way I could rush that process (he passed in 2003). Time and experiences had to unfold in order for me to write about them. Attending writers’ conferences, reading, getting mentoring and advice helped me tremendously. In those settings, I learned about publishers, book proposal preparation, “do’s and don’ts” in the industry, etc.



What was the actual writing process like for you?

Like I said, the project changed over the years. It started as a performance art piece, with dialogue, characters, scenery. If you read my book, most of the poetry at the start of each chapter was what existed, essentially, from the start in 1995. But again, because of life and experiences, I could not write some of the book’s poems until after I went through the experiences. Concerning the writing itself, I drew from my past, my years of diaries and photographs to recount specific events, mentioned in the book.



Around 2002, I presented this rough form to a mentor, who suggested it be a self-help book, rather than a play. At that point, I used these poems as a framework for the chapters and major topics discussed. That required organization of thoughts, more rewrites, editing, editing, editing. Chronological time mapped out the development and documentation of my eating disorders and recovery, focusing on the significant events that triggered each revelation or discussed topic. The best way I can describe it is “the stages.” What happened at each stage replaced the performance art slant to the project.



Get feedback from mentors, writers’ groups and people you trust; it’s important to have another’s perspective of your work. Don’t be afraid of constructive criticism; there will be criticism. These people are your first “audience.” Pay attention to the observations.



When writing- or re-writing, I usually worked no more than two hour at a time, not including “creative surges.” But 2 hours at a time really is the maximum amount of time to focus on writing for me. Beyond that, it’s hard to be fresh; I get quite loopy, honestly. Don’t tire yourself out. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Give your mind enough time to rest and brainstorm ideas. They pop up at the most unlikely times. Write thoughts and ideas as they come and journal. Don’t pressure yourself and say you’ll have 3 chapters written in a day. That probably won’t happen to you.



There were some days when all I wrote is a sentence or an idea down. From there, it developed further in its own time. I know you want results “just like that,” but be patient. Creativity never effectively comes when forced.



Once you had it written did you find it hard to find a publisher? That is something I am really curious about is once you have it written, where do you go from there???



Start with a market guide. There are both secular and Christian market guides, available online.



For instance, the market guide that I used to get “T.E” published was the “Sally Stuart Christian

Writers’ Market Guide.” A current, accurate edition of “Sally Stuart” comes out each February. It’s important to have the most current version of the market guide you’ve chosen, as publishers, literary agents and other information change from year to year.



Do research on the publisher you’re targeting; keep these questions, for instance, in mind: are they taking submissions, what do they require in the submission process (in example, email queries, book proposals and sample chapters).



Follow their instructions. If you don’t, you risk being discarded right then and there. Publishers receive numerous requests every single day. Don’t get off on the wrong foot by disregarding their guidelines.



The submission process for me took a year, sending 5-10 queries a month. Each project and publisher has different results, but it will probably take at least 6 months of serious submission to various literary agents and publishers before you get the response you want. You will get rejection letters; that’s part of the process. Don’t despair. This is not an overnight process. Your work is valid. It just hasn’t found the right “fit” in a publisher or an agent yet.



And Pray!!!!!! All of this comes through A LOT of prayer. A scripture that’s been with me from 1995 is as follows:



“And the LORD answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it.”

Habakkuk 2:2



May it bless you in your endeavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment