Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Chasing That Squirrel?

Are we chasing that squirrel?



I love my cat, Gracie. If you encounter me long enough, you'll discover I love my cats, Gracie and Glory, I ooh and ahh over them, just like a newborn baby.

Here's one such case, involving Gracie. A few months ago, she spotted, what I affectionately call our "rooftop squirrel." Hence the following:


I bring this video up 1) because I think it's cute and 2) because it reminded me how often we chase after that image, driven to eating disorder lengths- and frustrations- to get it. We look at a size, a weight, a scale number and a thin model and hear ourselves say, like my hubby, to Gracie, "Get it!"

I have, so many times in my life. I'm chasing a squirrel, yet all I get is the screened window.

Can you relate? Are you focused on an eating disorder critter, thinking you'll be able to capture it? Yet, it captures you, doesn't it? The predator becomes the prey? So are we hopeless to charge endless screen windows in vain?

No, I don't think so.

"But thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord Jesus Christ.Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."
1 Corinthians 15:57-58

We're not doomed to chase our ed squirrels; it's not hopeless. We have Jesus, helping us, even in spite of our chasing behaviors.

Gonna take a moment now to "THANK GOD!!!!" It'as a phrase we overuse so much of the time, but really, let's take a moment to THANK HIM and not just say the words. God has better things for us than squirrels in our lives. Let's find out what THOSE critters are, instead!

Work in progress, just like Gracie. Yep, still still looks in that window, from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment