Friday, September 2, 2011

Reinvention?


“…we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.”
1 Corinthians 8:4


When I was a theatre major, I first encountered the 1927 Fritz Lang film, “Metropolis.” The silent movie comments on class structure and the industrial age. But what also resonates with me is how we turn to a “new and improved” kind of image; in this film, the character, Maria is the inspiration for this reinvented, “new and improved” machine interpretation:



Whether it’s “Metropolis” or more recently, “the Terminator” films, there still seems to be the same message out there; reinvent yourself as the better, prettier, thinner, more successful model. That’s the only way to compete in this “dog eat dog” world.

Is it?

This time of year always brings up the reinvention theme more strongly for me. We’re at a new school year again. From my own past experience, especially as a college freshman, bought into the reinvention promise’s lie.


If I didn’t reinvent, myself, translation, become thinner, I’d only be a failure and completely worthless. Changing myself, therefore, was my obsession; I had that unhealthy tunnel vision as my eating disorders developed and took me to more desperate actions and chaotic weight struggles.


I thought being “new and improved” would make my life perfect. It did not. I still had problems and pain. In fact, turning to my “reinvention promise” caused additional problems and pain, through eating disorders and negative consequences from my wrong choices. I didn’t count on that happening.

Did the reinvention promise deliver? No. Why not? What’s wrong with improving ourselves, after all? Nothing, if it’s not our idol or our god. That’s where things go wrong.

I once heard a definition of the word, idol: “anything you draw strength from.”

Hmmm.

No, losing weight and reinvention aren’t the only potential “idols” out there. We can look to anything, to anyone and wrongly turn them into our promised “answer.” They were never meant to be that for us, however. Only God is to have that place.

“…for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me.”
Isaiah 46:9



It’s distortion. It’s as distorted as this machine version of Maria here.

It may appear to have, to be the answer, but our chosen idol or god can never bring us what God can.

“You are to have no other gods but me.”
Exodus 20:3


Reinvention can be a slippery slope. Don’t draw strength from being a “better” version. Right now, flaws and all, we are worthwhile. Right now, as together or as messy as we are, we still need God.

Don’t get it twisted. Whatever we deem to be our answer is found in only God. It’s not beauty, money, success or relationships.

“Do not make any gods to be alongside me; do not make for yourselves gods of silver or gods of gold.”
Exodus 20:23


It is your first love, calling to you.

“…Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.”
Jeremiah 31:3


Will we answer? Part of becoming the person each of us is created to be is relating to God as He rightfully is in our lives: first.

“I am the Lord your God…”
Exodus 20:2



Let’s let God do our reinventing then. He knows how to do it. In the meantime, let’s be ourselves, realizing we will change, but no matter how or when we change, God will still be God.



No comments:

Post a Comment