Thursday, June 27, 2013

Childish Things

Growing up, I went from playing with dolls to full-on doll collecting. It became a passion. Alright, it was an obsession. My room was lined with dolls which resembled this image here. Yeah. It really was a scary, valley of the dolls situation, downright creepy in dim light. Nevertheless, there they were. And, in the years since, I still love dolls. But I’ve shifted in their importance in my life. Life has created other, more pressing, priorities. In essence, I’ve done some growing up (no snickering, now). To some degree, we’ve all grown up; to some degree, we’re all childish/immature. And here’s where this scripture comes into play: “When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” 1 Corinthians 13:11 Part of this life process involves balancing the childlike elements of our lives versus the childish elements. And yes (sigh), it is endless and ongoing. Nevertheless, we need to look at what is staring back at us. We may not have an actual, even creepy doll collection, resembling this image here, but there’s some childish attitude, belief or behavior which needs some adjustment, right? What do you and I do with our childish things? What does God want us to do with them? Are we asking that question and responding accordingly? Copyright © 2013 by Sheryle Cruse

No comments:

Post a Comment