Sunday, June 2, 2013

Edith

I found out Jean Stapleton passed away yesterday. She was best known for her portrayal of the famous character, Edith Bunker on the groundbreaking television series, “All In the Family.” It hit me hard. As a child, I grew up with that show. I remember it was a favorite of my parents; it was one of the few unifying things for us. Every week, we would watch the latest episode. Unfortunately, my day resembled the Archie Bunker character in many ways. He even had his chair, like Archie’s. No one else except him could sit in it. But Edith was the heart of so much of the show. Controversial as it was, taboo issues were discussed, including rape, race, the Vietnam War, breast cancer, menopause and sex. And it was through the filter of Edith, we often viewed these things with humor and understanding. Did her character’s responses ever upset and anger me, especially in the context of her relationship to Archie’s character? Yes, because, yet again, I saw similarities within my own family dynamic. During the series, Archie often called Edith “Dingbat.” Now, we’d say he verbally and emotionally abused her. He mistreated her and often disrespected her. That certainly irritated me; it still affects me, years later, as I watch the episodes. But Edith was not stupid. Sweet as her character was, Edith represented, perhaps, the childlike faith we are called to have in life. “And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 18:2-4 That’s how I see the Edith character, in spite of all of the controversies, issues and disagreements on those things. So, thank you and rest in peace, Ms. Stapleton. Your artistic portrayal has touched us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment