Monday, September 13, 2010

Heiress, Not Helpless!

I recently came across more photos of my cousin’s wedding.

At my lowest weight, described in my book, “Thin Enough,” I was determined to meet my goal and be every bit the pink bridesmaid was felt I was supposed to be. I remember feeling wobbly in my high heels, swaying in the dress, trying not to pass out, as I walked down the aisle. I felt so weak.

So, the day rolled on; the photo sessions taxed me, just trying to stay standing. See the pained smiles frozen on my face?

 And there we all were: the bridesmaids, decked out in the pastel colors. We looked girly and feminine.



But still, I knew, in my heart, that it didn’t matter if I wore the pink dress, had my hair done, had perfect makeup and accessories; I still just felt helpless.

So often, with eating disorders, food, weight and body image issues, we can feel helpless, can’t we? After all, somewhere lurking in each of our minds, is the thought, “I’m just a girl.” But God’s called each of us to be more than a girl; we are “joint heirs with Christ.”

“And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with [him], that we may be also glorified together.”

Romans 8:17

“If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.”

Galatians 3:29

“so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.”

Titus 3:7

We are capable of so much, not because of who we are, but rather, because of Who Jesus is!

“I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”

Philippians 4:13

On the outside, we may look like “just a girl,” smiling pretty, decked out in pastel colors and struggling with an eating disorder, a “just a girl’s disease” (which, by the way, it’s not, affecting, conservatively, at least one million males and growing now). But God sees more in each one of us; He sees value, worth, potential and an inheritance of unique blessings for our individual lives!

No, we’re not helpless! And after all, Who is our Helper, anyway?

“I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.”

Psalms 121:1-2

Remember: Heiress, not Helpless! Go out and live who you are! God wants to give you something today, to bless and empower you! Receive it!

No comments:

Post a Comment